On June 23 we packed up our stuff from our itty bitty apartment in Logan, Utah and drove about 19 hours to Des Moines Iowa. I was so excited! I listened to books on tape almost the entire time and day dreamed about our new TWO BEDROOM apartment. Since Nolan, Rich and Suzanne, and I all drove in separate cars I didn't have much choice! It hadn't really hit me yet that we were moving to (not visiting)Iowa. When we finally crossed the state line I was ecstatic! Then we pulled in to Des Moines. We saw the exit to the school and passed it. And drove for about another 25 minutes before finally coming to the exit we would take to get to our apartment. I felt terrible! How on earth did I find the farthest possible apartment from the school? But I kept thinking oh well it'll work. Plus I had a washer and dryer in this apartment!
We went to the office to sign our lease and talk to the landlord but she wasn't even there! So we called her and waited around for 15 or so minutes. By this time I felt a little sick to the stomach because the realization of moving across the country was starting to sink in. She went through everything in the lease with us and we asked to see the apartment before we signed anything. As soon as we walked in to the apartment we noticed the smoke smell. Then noticed that it wasn't as big as the pictures online made it look. Then noticed that the washer and dryer were actually IN the master bedroom "walk-in" closet. I was upset to say the least. Ok I broke down. I walked out of the apartment and cried my eyes out. What the heck did I get us in to?? Online the apartment said no smoking. The bedrooms looked huge and so did the front room. And I don't remember the washer and dryer actually being IN the closet. I was disappointed. Very disappointed. This is the last time I will EVER find a place to live without actually visiting the place first. But I guess this time we didn't really have much choice. I called my dad and he reassured me that it would be okay. He even laughed a little when I told him about the washer/dryer situation. I think that was about the time that it hit me that we were moving here.
After my little melt down Nolan also reassured me that it would be okay. We would sign a 6 month lease and if we wanted to, move out. He also took me to Target to get some air fresheners and Febreeze. That night when everything was moved in (thanks Rich, Suzanne, Maryann, and Blake!!) we went to dinner. But that night I had another little melt down and all the food didn't stay put. This move really wasn't doing me good.I just kept thinking what a huge mistake I had made with the apartment and I couldn't figure out why it had felt like the right thing to do!
After everyone had left Nolan and I had no idea what to do. So we explored and I applied for jobs. I got a call from Allied Insurance and had an interview. It went well but I don't start until August 8. Over the week I got more familiar with the area and we found things to do.
FINALLY Sunday came around. I was so excited to go to church and meet people. Everyone was so friendly! I think this was the reason we were supposed to move where we did! I think about 5 different people hugged me that day. I feel like we have already made friends. We were invited to a fourth of July get together and it was a lot of fun. I finally feel good about our decision!
Sorry this is so lengthy. A lot had happened in the last week and a half and it feels good to get it off my chest! I also want to say that I LOVE Des Moines and the people here. Everyone is so friendly and there is a lot to do. There are bike trails and so many community activities. Over the weekend there were a few different firework shows and even a concert at the State Capitol. Aside from the first few days of melt downs, it has been great! Very humid and hot, but great! Our apartment doesn't really smell anymore and I LOVE LOVE LOVE having a washer and dryer. So thanks again to everyone who helped us move. We are excited to start our lives in Iowa.
2 comments:
Yay for Des Moines. I hate spelling that. I am glad you are adjusting and feeling at home. Look forward to visiting here in a couple weeks!
You are well on your way to pro blogging;) I've been thinking about you so much and am so glad things are working out for you! Great update! I'm so glad you like your new area and ward! I was also so excited about our move and everything and I had an overwhelming time where I cried like a baby:) Guess it has to hit us sometime:)
Post a Comment